Friday, January 14, 2005

Philosophy is Phun!

I've finally worked out my course schedule in its entirety, having eliminated Quantum Mechanics and Relativity in favor of hopefully less daunting subjects. I am now enrolled in Creative Drama, Writing for the Theatre, Metaphysics, and Science Fiction. The former two are, of course, delightfully theatre-y, and, even better, pertain specifically to playwrighting in one form or another. So those should both be exciting and beneficial. Metaphysics (the philosophy of the nature of reality) is a far preferable alternative to Quantum Mechanics, and although I missed this week's lecture, and the reading a bit dense and difficult (we're currently looking at the nature of truth, a rather slippery topic to look in the face), the seminar yesterday was glorious and envigorating as philosophy never fails to be for me. What's more, my mention of it in the flat sparked off a four-hour long debate late into last night regarding realism, free will, parallel dimensions, and the like. Which was awesome. I haven't attended a Science Fiction class yet, but it seems like it will be a pretty interesting topic of study.

Yesterday's activities also included a trip to the chaplain's house in the nearby countryside for snacks, tomato soup, and a movie (we ended up watching Casablanca). I met some really neat people, and now know the times during the week for their meeting group, called Skeptics Anonymous. The chaplain is a pretty hilarious and very friendly guy. So all in all yesterday was a very high-excitement day.

Tonight I head over a few hours west to stay with a family for the weekend through Arcadia's homestay program. Should be much fun, provided I can get ahold of the other girls I'm supposed to be going with, including the one with the tickets. But that means I probably won't be reachable over the weekend until I return around 7 or so Sunday night. I'm sure I'll have lots of exciting stories once I do return, though. Happy weekend to all of you!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the immortal words of Napoleon Dynamite: "Uh... LUCKY!"

You're making me jealous! There are few things in the world I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall in a lecture like that. I'm in the process of driving my co-workers and friends insane by constantly dragging them into metaphysical conversations they had no desire to be in anyway. Books just aren't cutting it these days, I need the fresh exchange of thought between one thinking human being and another. Envy, envy, envy. Be forwarned, when you return I intend to revive our practice of intellectual head butting on a new and profound level!

Untill then, enjoy yourself! You deserve it.

-Justin-

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth-

If you'd do me a favor, would you save any notes or handouts you have on ontology, epistemology, teleology et al (having to do with metaphysics)? Also, since you've read Moby Dick, would you save up some conversation for me concerning metaphysics and Moby Dick? I'll be teaching Moby Dick next year, and I am always looking for new insights on it. I am sure I'll eventually bend Coach Dorman's ear quite a bit. Oh, and why would I be teaching something like Moby Dick? Well, I'll be teaching AP Lit next year! I am really looking forward to that.

Another course I'll be teaching is Film Studies II, which I'll actually design. Please feel free to lend me your thoughts on this. I intend to take slices of everything to do with film and theater/theatre and incorporate them into the course. I also intend to have quite a few guest speakers - I was thinking at least ten through the year. If you have a bit of time, I'd love to have you speak.

So, my schedule in full: 2 courses of Film Studies I, 1 course of Film Studies II, 2 courses of Yearbook/Publications, and 1 AP Literature and Comp course. We are on a 4 x 4 block schedule of 80 minute classes. On "A" days we have periods 1 - 4; and on "B" days we have 5 - 8.

Well, that's all for now. Anne and I send our love.

Uncle Frank

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz-

I must say, after reading some other responses to your blogs, I am quite hurt. I usually never admit to stooping to tactics such as these, but I feel it's time to stoop and come clean at the same time. If you are ever traveling with Coach Dorman, he'll steal your toothpaste. And then - to add insult to injury - he'll insult the way your toothpaste! Yes, he has done exactly that to me in the paste. So, I strongly urge you to not accept any ramblings he has on existensialism and dental floss. There's only a tenuous thread that connects the two.

Still, I must admit, it is good hearing from/of him through this bizarre portal. Considering his non-technological self and wife have never answered my various e-mails (must have me on the block list?), it's good to keep up in some fashion or another.

Take care (all) -

Uncle Frank

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home