Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Matrix Had Me

Sorry it's been so long since last I posted. I have been deeply immersed in the writing of an "essay" for my science fiction class. We were given permission to do something more creative to fulfill the assignment, and I decided to do something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and rewrite the second and third Matrix movies. Which has been a fun process, allowing me to gain an even deeper appreciation of the first movie and its many layers and complexities, and to do some creative writing in the process. At the same time, putting together the plot of two entire movies, while attempting to remain true to all characters and principles established in the first one, has been quite a complicated and time-consuming process, and there have definitely been moments when I wished I had just chosen some boring but simple traditional essay topic. Anyway, the thing is nearly done at last (just have to go through and cut out 700 words, and write a 300-500 word autocritique) and soon I shall be unplugged once more! Or at least, released into a wider Matrix of the remainder of my essays and projects for the term.

The time over the past week I have not spent working on the Matrix sequels has mostly been devoted to rehearsals for my Creative Drama project, which is the group performance I've been working on for the past few months, and which we perform a week from today... (yikes!) It's been a rocky process, as we usually start each meeting by tossing out at least 50% of what we did in the last one. But what we have kept has become increasingly honed, and I think by the time we finally perform it we will have a piece we are all quite proud of.

This weekend I will be in the neighboring county on a homestay, which should be quite exciting. And towards the end of the month, my Dad, Pam, and Allie will be coming to visit! Hooray! A few days later I'll have my final exam, and then it's off to Greece, Scotland, and Taize with the Fantastic Fox! And then back home... When put that way, it seems like my time here is almost over, but there are still over two months to go. Wow... I just tallied it up, and the total number of days I'll be home over the summer is a mere 24. Which I'm sure will be nowhere near enough... Life rushes on, doesn't it? Ah, well. I wish you all love and joy and a few of those moments when time stands absolutely still.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to Taize?! How fantastic! The pastor at 7th Ave Pres. just got back from there last week. (He leads pilgrimages there frequently). You'll have to tell me all about it!
-Luba

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time standing completely still? What a horid idea that is! I'm sure you can think of the implications of such a thing! *Shudder* No, no- I'm thankful for a hectic life sometimes, it reminds us (When we're not yearning for a bed or a place to hide) that we're moving in the world. And for those of us who are Christian, we aren't moving alone.

My two random cents!
-Justin-

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home